February 05, 2008

Here's to you Mr. "I voted sticker on my shirt."



It is the morning of Super Tuesday and I have already been reminded of my "patriotic" duty to vote by headlines, DJ's, talking heads, my neighbor Joe and some guy at the gas station. Voting is as American as baseball, hot dogs, apple pie and Frito Lay and entitles Americans to an "I Voted" sticker and the right to complain. On election day it does not matter if you are a Republican or Democrat, rich or poor, dead or alive, it does not matter if you don't know the difference between water boarding and skate boarding, pork barrel and pork rinds, Alan Keyes and the Florida Keys; just as long as you vote.

However, once you pull that lever for your favorite Democrat or Republican, remember that your status as an "I Voted" patriot is dependent on keeping your vote secret. Once the primaries are over and the candidates are chosen, we will begin to hear why Republicans are un American and Democrats are not patriotic, why one candidate will set this country back 50 years and the other will ruin our way of life, how the other candidate is a hypocrite while your candidate had a change of heart. And when you finally are fed up with both parties remember that, while your "I Voted" sticker gives you the right to complain, don't complain about the two party monopoly of power for which you keep voting.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Why is Frito Lay 'american"? Mr Fischer, do you own stock in the company? I happen to think that Indian Corn chips that were once manufactured in Terre Haute IN are much more "American" than Fritos. For that matter Charles Chips or Ruffles kick the shit of of Lays or Wavy Lays. I think your support of the Frito Lay company should be investigated. If you have a bias please clearly state it before spouting off.

By the way, can you change the wavy letter verification process for submitting comments? And what is the deal with the wheelchair logo when I put the letters in?