November 27, 2007

More bizarre emails from St. Peters

I posted last week about the decision of St. Peters to take KFAV off the city's cable access channel because of comments made on a show I co-host with Lyn Schipper called Fish & Ships. In another post I wrote about the response I received from St. Peters councilman Dave Thomas. Yesterday I got an email from St. Peters councilman Dan Aytes. Here is my (unedited) email exchange with Mr. Aytes:

  • My name is Rick Fischer and I co-host with Lyn Schipper a weekly 15 minute show on KFAV (99.9). Our show covers a variety of topics and at times we have criticized some of the decisions made in St. Peters. I always thought that in our country we valued debate and discussion regarding the actions of our elected representatives. We have received positive feedback on some of our discussions about St. Peters and we have never received any input from the City itself.
    Therefore, I was shocked to learn that St. Peters decided to no longer use KFAV on its cable access station because of our radio show. St. Peters has decided, once again, that censorship rather than debate is the way to handle criticism. In our show we try to inform our listeners on how decisions are made in government and the possible motives of these decisions. The city's actions in censoring such discourse leads me to believe we have not been paying enough attention to what is going on in St. Peters. We will be sure to correct this mistake.

Mr. Aytes response:

  • I just returned from Houston, Texas were we spent thanksgiving with our son and granddaughters. Upon reading this one side of your responce on the air-you sounded just like one of the people who has a lawsuit against us and I believe you was set up-if you had asked for our side you would of seen this, and your story would of been different. I believe we have one of the best city administrators in the St Louis area, also a very good Council- I would not consider letting either one go. Have you been down to see what is going on with the 370 project-call us and come down, we will be happy to show you how well it is being developed-will be a lot like Earth city, with lots of lakes joining. I am a country western fan, but I agree about taking your sta-tion off the air and I:m not sure if it will ever be back on, it all depends on you. Thanks Don Aytes

I responded:

  • Thank you for the email. I did not request anyone to be fired so I assume you also did not hear the show you are criticizing. You are the second alderman who has complained about our show without hearing it. I assume you and Councilman Thomas believe I am involved with Adolphus Busch and his group from your emails. Again you are wrong. Please let me also make clear KFAV is not my station nor am I an employee of the station. You did not take "my station" off the air. Finally, I am amazed that you would ignore the issue I raised; a government body taking a radio station off the air because of the opinions (which you don't even know) expressed on a show. I would think that an elected representative of a city that wants to keep its citizens from hearing criticism of its decisions would worry more about that but it seems as if at least you and Mr. Thomas support the decision. All I can say is that I am glad you do not represent me. I prefer to live somewhere where open and honest debate is encouraged.
    I hope you will do your own checking of the facts before you email me again. And I hope someone at your city will set up a course on the First Amendment. That would be a service to your residents.

Mr. Aytes response:

  • Again I said you was set up and your answer same as said you was, Mr Burkemper is trying to get any one he can listen to him. One of the big things is the first document from the corp of engineers was a 100 yr flood wa our levey was an elevation of .002 . After the people re-typed the document now their document says .02, isn"t that a big difference,ha!Yes i"m glad you aren"t an elected official as going off half cocked is the right thing to do. This in the courts now and we expect the case to be thrown out any day now. Don

Dan Burkemper is aligned with Adolphus Busch and the Great Rivers Habitat Alliance, which has been fighting St. Peters plans regarding a large scale development in the flood plain known as Lakeside 370. Lakeside 370 was discussed on our show, however, I was not on that show. Of course, since no one criticizing that show actually heard it, they would not know that. Hopefully, Councilmen Aytes and Thomas are more prepared on other issues effecting the residents of St. Peters.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It is amazing to me that an elected offical, one that speaks for his residents can't even write a proper sentance or use proper grammer. He expects me to put my faith in him, are you kidding me!